Local Nature in Curriculum Learning NE715 / A22
This course is delivered as part of the Natural History Museum Explore: Urban Nature Programme and is available to start at any time after the 10th January 2023.
Through this self-paced course, you will develop an action plan to confidently run an outdoor investigation with your students on or near your school site.
You will evaluate suitable locations, consider how to support your students in devising a scientific question, and explore how students can become engaged in science through youth advocacy.
Who is it for?
This course has content that can be used within science and geography lessons through primary and secondary, but will be of particular relevance to teachers of 11-14 science.
What topics are covered?
- Incorporating local nature into learning
- Choosing suitable locations for local nature investigations
- Field sampling approaches
- Urban biodiversity and environmental science
- Science Capital
- Supporting students to write scientific questions
How will you learn?
This is a self-paced, online course. The course will be facilitated by Natural History Museum on the following dates:
March 5th to March 17th 2023
May 7th to May 19th 2023
September 24th to October 6th 2023
How long is this course?
Approximately 7 hours study time.
Who is the course leader?
Natural History Museum
This course is facilitated by a group of museum education experts, scientists and curators from the Real World Science network of museums across...
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Use local nature and environment to put curriculum science into an engaging context
- Plan opportunities for using local settings outside the classroom for nature investigations
- Identify the barriers to investigating local nature and plan to address these
- Include a range of ecological sampling techniques in lesson plans
- Support students in devising suitable questions to investigate through fieldwork
- Collaborate with colleagues, share and critique ideas
|1 Local Nature in Curriculum Learning
|10 January 2023
|State-funded school or college
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)
* Your school or college will receive the subsidy on successful completion of the CPD and impact toolkit. Find out more.
Check your school subsidy status
The subsidy value may be higher for your school or college.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available